Thank you for listening to Taking Flight, a Podcast showcasing the raw stories of how church plants have gone from fumbles and failures to innovation and impact.
The guest on episode five is Jeanne Stevens, the co-founding pastor of Soul City Church. As they say at Soul City, they are wholly committed to “leading people into a transforming relationship with Jesus where grace and growth are inseparably connected.” Launched in November of 2010, Soul City has become one the premier churches in Chicago and is in many ways a model in urban church planting. Jeanne is the author of “Soul School“, a contributor to the Bible Study and DVD Series “Twelve Women of the Bible” as well as “Real Women, Real Faith”.
My biggest takeaways:
- God calls us to courage.
- Planting Soul City was not about opportunity, it was about obedience.
- Don’t get out “over your ski’s” financially.
- If our mission works on me it will work on you.
- Decisions made in desperations are almost always the wrong decisions.
- Be more about partnerships than programs…you don’t have to reinvent the wheel in your city. Join what God is already doing.
Soul School: Enrolling in a Soulful Lifestyle for Youth Ministry (Soul Shaper)
Twelve Women of the Bible Study Guide with DVD: Life-Changing Stories for Women Today
Real Women, Real Faith: Volume 1: Life-Changing Stories from the Bible for Women Today